Thursday, June 9, 2011

Hot Sauce of the Day: Tabasco Habanero Sauce

???? out of 10 fingers and thumbs


This sauce..... is absolutely insane.  You are probably wondering why this is scored as a ???? out of 10?  Well, it's because this sauce is 10 times too hot for me to handle.  I tried it on a slice of pizza this afternoon... I didn't finish the slice of pizza.  I would discuss the flavor in this post, but that's just impossible.  I don't think I will be tasting anything for a while.  If you try this stuff and get scorched, don't say I didn't warn you.

This sauce is rated greater than 7,000 units on the Scoville Heat Scale.  Tabasco's Original Sauce ranges only from 2,500-5,000 and I think that's quite hot!  7,000+ units... no thanks.



Curious about the Scoville Heat Scale?  Here is some back ground information for ya:

In 1912 Wilbur Scoville created the Scoville Heat Scale.  The purpose of this test was to test the hotness of different types of peppers.  It is not exactly the pepper that the scale measures, but a chemical within the pepper called capsaicin.  As we all know, technology is always advancing and it certainly has improved in quality since 1912 which results in a new, more accurate test being used.  Respectively, the unit for the heat is still called the Scoville Unit.


In case you were wondering, the hottest pepper known to date is the Bhut Jolokia.  This pepper measured in at a little bit over 1,000,000 Scoville Units!

No comments:

Post a Comment