Thursday, June 9, 2011

Hot sauce of the day: Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce

6.5 out of 10 fingers and thumbs

Today I spent my whole day at work thinking about what I was going to eat for dinner.  After 8 hours of pondering, I decided that I would take a trip to the store to buy some chicken wings and some Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wings Sauce.  Today was my first experience with this particular wing sauce, but after doing some research it was easy to decide when I found out that Frank's sauce was the first sauce ever used to create buffalo sauce.  If this stuff inspired one of my favorite styles of sauce way back in 1964, it's got to be good.  Decision Made.

After completing my slightly large portion of buffalo sauce covered wings I decided to rate this sauce a 6.5 out of 10 on the fingers and thumbs scale.  Although this sauce does have a natural buttery flavor, it just doesn't compare to the sauce that is made at restaurants such as Buffalo Wild Wings and Wings Etc.  I guess I will just have to go venture off to Buffalo, New York to see how Frank's sauce can truly turn buffalo sauce into the wonderful thing it should be.

Some background info on Frank's Red Hot Sauce:

Although the buffalo sauce was not an original sauce, it did have to start somewhere.  It all started with the original creation of Frank's Louisiana RedHot Sauce.  This all began as the Frank Tea and Spice Company, which was created by Jacob Frank in 1896 in Cincinatti Ohio, but it would take years for Jacob to begin creating hot sauce.  It wasn't until 1920 when he began creating his great hot sauce, and it definitely payed off for him as it became very popular in the United States, it even played a huge role in the creation of buffalo sauce in Buffalo, New York in 1964.

As with most all hot sauces, Frank's is created from a variety of peppers, which is where it gets its distinct flavor.  Frank's grows all of it's peppers in Mexico and New Mexico, which shouldn't be too much of a surprise.  From there the peppers are sent to Springfield, Missouri to begin the aging process in which the peppers are ground into a salt and pepper mix called the "mash".

The sauce that I had today was the Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wings Sauce, which was created in 1996 in order to make the preparation of wings even easier.  Although this sauce is designed for wings, I have heard of it being used on a variety of things such as hamburgers, hot dogs, and turkey sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment